About North Park
The setting for some of the most beautiful Craftsman Bungalows and Spanish Style residences in San Diego, North Park is one of the desirable metropolitan communities ringing Balboa Park. North Park is an area of mixed architectural styles from many eras, and one area of note is the Morley Field neighborhood. Named for its proximity to Balboa Park’s Morley Field Sports Complex, this area is lined with turn-of-the-century Craftsman Bungalows and California Bungalows. Because many of the homes were designed by renowned designer and builder David Owen Dryden, the area is the site of the “Dryden Historic District”.
The North Park Sign can be seen at 30th Street and University Avenue, and this intersection is commonly considered to be the heart of the thriving business district. This area is undergoing major renovations and improvements, including the brilliantly restored North Park Theatre. An eclectic array of restaurants and independent coffee shops can be found along the main arteries of 30th Street and University Avenue. The area is also dotted with bars and night clubs that cater to a wide diversity of patrons.
Forbes magazine named North Park as one of America’s best hipster neighborhoods, noting that “culturally diverse North Park is home to Craftsman cottages, cafes and diners, coffee shops, several microbreweries, boutiques, and the North Park Farmers Market. The North Park Theater and the Ray Street Arts District are also bastions of creativity in the area”.
The Los Angeles Times writes: “North Park has all the ingredients for the cool school: It’s culturally diverse and has art galleries, boutiques, trendy bars with handcrafted cocktails and local brews, and foodie-approved eateries.”
North Park has a high rate of pedestrian activity—residents enjoy the ability to walk to a multitude of stores and restaurants, and choose to leave their cars in the garage whenever possible.
Some highlights that North Park residents enjoy:
- Ray at Night: A gallery walk held the second Saturday of every month. It is the largest and longest running art walk in San Diego’s history.
- Farmers Market: Every Thursday, featuring over 35 independent vendors; locally grown produce/flowers; gourmet/ethnic foods; arts and crafts; books; and live music.
- Bird Park Summer Concert Series: Saturdays in June, July, and August
- Morley Field Sports Complex: Featuring an Olympic sized public swimming pool, bocce, badminton, and tennis courts, a velodrome, a disc golf course, an archery range, baseball fields, hiking trails, a leash-free dog park, and vast vistas of picnic and play spaces.
- Named the #1 Microbrew neighborhood in America
- North Park Music Thing: A large music festival hosted in the fall by the San Diego Music Foundation
- Annual Holiday Parade in December